Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Why Ninowatch?

An article appeared on the front page of The New York Times from Sunday May 2, 2004, titled "In Re Scalia the Outspoken v. Scalia the Reserved." (It's archived, so $$.) The article chronicles Justice Scalia's ever-truculent rhetoric, both in his opinions, as well as in his public speeches. After reading the article, I searched the blogosphere for a weblog discussing Justice Scalia. I was surprised to find none! So, all summer long I kicked myself - why don't you start a Scalia blog!? I mean hey, I'm a law librarian with access to scads of research info. And I'm way into Con. Law. But, I just didn't want to invest the time - like most guys, I just didn't want to commit.

This past November, I attended the Internet Librarian 2004 conference in Monterey, California. (A terrific conference, btw.) At IL 2004, I learned about the free, insta-blog service from our non-evil friends at the Googleplex. So, I could make no more excuses - go forth and blog!

And now a brief mission statement. Since his appointment to the United States Supreme Court by President Ronald Reagan, and his 65-33 vote confirmation by the Senate on September 17, 1986, Associate Justice Antonin Scalia (aka "Nino") has been scorned by the Left, and championed by the Right. He calls himself a "textualist" and "originalist," but his critics view him as "more Bork than Bork." Whatever ideological view you have of Nino, though, you have to admit that he's the best writer on the Court, and loads of fun, too. Do any other Justices use words like Kulturkampf in their opinions? (See Romer v. Evans, 517 U.S. 620, 636 (1995) (Scalia, J., dissenting).)

So, I humbly intend for Ninowatch to be a repository of information, musings, and polemics (both Right & Left) about Justice Scalia. Ninowatch will not endorse any ideological position on J. Scalia (although I'm a Mondale Democrat). Rather, my hope is that Ninowatch will serve as a non-partisan and useful conduit for Il spirito Nino.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home